The following tools and guides provide information to support road safety planning in your area. This information ranges from high-level overview through to detailed information around the circumstances of crashes.
Links to road safety tools
Below are a set of links to road safety analysis tools:
- Road toll statistics(external link) covers road fatalities and fatal crashes, updated daily.
- Safer Journeys(external link) is the government's strategy to guide improvements in road safety over the period 2010 to 2020. The strategy's vision is a safe road system increasingly free of death and serious injury and introduces the Safe System approach to New Zealand.
- Safe Systems Approach(external link) aims for a more forgiving road system that takes human fallibility and vulnerability into account. Under a Safe System the whole transport system is designed to protect people from death and serious injury.
- Quarterly Summary of Road Safety Outcomes summarise: the overall picture of the road toll over the latest five year period; intermediate outcome measures for each Safer Journeys area of concern; trends over five years; comparisons for each local government region and police district against the headline outcome measures. View the latest quarterly report.
- KiwiRap(external link) is the New Zealand Road Assessment Programme is used to assess the safety risk on State highways. It is a partnership between the NZ Transport Agency, Ministry of Transport, Accident Compensation Corporation, NZ Police and the New Zealand Automobile Association. KiwiRAP is a sister programme to ANCAP, the Australasian New Car Assessment Programme which assigns Star Ratings to vehicles based upon the protection they provide to occupants.
- Urban KiwiRAP(external link) is a component of New Zealand’s KiwiRAP Programme, and is used to analyse the road safety risks of the Local Authority road networks. This information is located on the Road Safety Risk website.
- Road Safety Risk(external link) is a live information website designed to assist transport professionals to improve road safety across New Zealand. As more data is made available, it will be added to this website.
- Communities at risk register provides a ranking of different communities around NZ with regard to selected road safety risks. Approved organisations use the information contained in this register to support their application for funding through TIO (Transport Investment Online).
- New and used car safety ratings(external link) are available online. The new car ANCAP safety ratings are determined by crash testing vehicles in a controlled laboratory setting using crash-test dummies. The used car safety ratings are calculated from statistical analysis of police reports on crashes that have occurred over the past twenty years in five states of Australia and in New Zealand.
- Crash Analysis System (CAS) reports are used to find detailed crash information at the national, regional and territorial authority level, across the 13 Safer Journeys areas of concern. These reports are used to validate risks identified using the road safety action planning tool.
Links to guides
Below are links to a set of guides to assist in the analysis of the safety aspects of the activities listed: